AIEDAM Special Issue, Spring 2015, Vol.29, No.2
Guest Editors: L.H. Shu and Ashok K. Goel
Analogical thinking involves the use of analogies for a variety of tasks such as
- Generating novel concepts (design-by-analogy) and
- Helping explain existing and new concepts
We welcome papers that report the study of analogies (and metaphors) not only in design, but more generally in engineering, analysis, manufacturing, as well as design education. We welcome work describing cognitive studies, computational theories and interactive tools.
One challenge in analogical thinking is that researchers mean different things by the term “analogy”, e.g., featural, conceptual and relational similarity. Therefore, we ask that authors clearly characterize what they mean by analogy in their work.
Suitable topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Sources of analogy/metaphor in design/education
- Identifying analogies/metaphors
- Representing/communicating analogies/metaphors
- Applying analogies/metaphors
- Types of analogies/metaphors selected/formed
- Effectiveness in and of using analogies/metaphors
All submissions will be anonymously reviewed by at least three reviewers. The selection for publication will be made on the basis of these reviews.
Information about the format and style required for AIEDAM papers can be found here.
Inquiries about this special issue should be sent to the Guest Editors.
Please submit your paper through ScholarOne system online at: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/aie. Your need to create an user account first if you are a new user. During your submission process, pay attention to the following two steps:
- On Step 1 (Type, title & abstract): Select "Yes" for the "Special Issue" question.
- On Step 5 (Details & comments): Select "Analogical Thinking - Vol.29/2" for "Special Issue Name".
|Intend to submit (Abstract & Title):||As soon as possible|
|Submission deadline for full papers:||28 February 2014 (new deadline)|
|Reviews due:||1 May 2014|
|Notification and reviews to authors:||1 September 2014|
|Issue to Publisher:||1 December 2014|
|Issue appears:||May 2015|
Please direct all enquiries to the guest editors:
|Dr. Li Shu||Dr. Ashok Goel|
|Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering||School of Interactive Computing|
|University of Toronto||Georgia Institute of Technology|
|5 King's College Road||Technology Square Research Building|
|Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3G8||85 Fifth Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30332-0280|
|Email: shu @ mie.utoronto.ca||Email: goel @ cc.gatech.edu|